Our commitment to privacy
Personal information we collect
We collect personal information from you in various ways, for example:
- if you supply personal information when using this Website;
- when you supply personal details in the course of registering support;
- when you make a donation through our partners, Stripe – https://stripe.com/, and PayPal https://www.paypal.com/ro/home, in which case Stripe or/and PayPal will provide us with this information – see also section headed Third Party Platforms below;
- if you raise a query or issue with us.
The type of personal information we collect includes your name, email address, home (or work) address, phone number and other personal details which you may choose to provide. Any credit card or debit card data you provide is securely handled by Stripe and/or PayPal as our third party payment processors (or such other third party payment processor) as we use from time to time. We never store your credit or debit card details.
We may also collect information about your use of our Website (for example, the URL you came from; your browser type and the pages of our Website that were viewed during your visit). For more information on how we do this, please see the section headed ‘Cookies’ below.
Use of personal data
We may use your Personal Data about you for the following purposes:
- providing you with access to our Website as well as administering or developing Website features or content;
- fundraising or direct marketing purposes. Where you have expressly consented to us doing so in accordance with applicable law, we may contact you for these purposes by telephone or electronic message (e.g. email or SMS). We may also contact you by post from time to time, unless you have told us that you do not want to receive these communications. If you wish to update your Personal Data or opt-out of receiving further fundraising or marketing communications from us please get in touch at the address shown in the Contact section below;
- administering any on-going donations or support you provide;
- providing you with news about us or any projects, campaigns or events that we may be involved in;
- where you have agreed to take part in a survey or research;
- we may also use tools to geo-locate a Romania IP address when someone lands on SITE HERE and offer them the opportunity to switch to our Romania Website through a pop up message; and/or we may switch them automatically
- we may also occasionally use Personal Data for the purpose of profiling (see the Profiling section below).
We may also contact you for other purposes that you consent to from time to time.
We aim to collect and process your Personal Data in accordance with applicable laws that regulate data protection and privacy. This includes but is not limited to national laws implementing the EU Data Protection Directive (95/46/EC), which was replaced on 25 May 2018 by the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679). The Insert Association is currently registered as a data controller in Romania with the ….
Please note that we may occasionally use Personal Data to conduct profiling of certain donors or to conduct analysis of our donor database or persons who have positively expressed an interest in attending one of our events. This will help us target communications with our donors in a more relevant, efficient and cost effective way, helping us reduce the chances of donors receiving inappropriate or irrelevant communications. To do this profiling we may cross-check certain Personal Data against public sources to get a better understanding of who our donors are. You can object to such use of your Personal Data for this purpose at any time by contacting us at the address shown in the Contact section below. For more information about the profiling that we do please contact us at EMAIL HERE.
Disclosing personal data to third parties
You should be aware that, in general, legal protection for personal data under applicable law in the United States (and other non-EU countries) may not be equivalent to the protection provided in the European Union and/or under Romania law. In all cases, Personal Data you provide will only be disclosed to staff, volunteers and contractors who share our commitment to treating Personal Data responsibly and we always aim to make sure your Personal Data is treated to the same security standards you would expect in Romania.
Your access rights
In accordance with your legal rights under applicable law, you can request to receive information regarding the Personal Data that we collect about you; what we use that Personal Data for and who it may be disclosed to. Please write to our Romania data protection officer at the email address in the ‘Contact’ section below. Where applicable law allows, we may request a fee to cover our administrative expenses in responding and may also require further information to verify your identity or locate the specific information you seek before we can respond in full.
Security to protect personal data
We employ appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect Personal Data from being accessed by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. We also endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect Personal Data from external threats. However, please be aware that there are always inherent risks in sending information by public networks or using public computers and we cannot 100% guarantee the security of all data disclosed or transmitted to us.
We will retain certain Personal Data in respect of financial transactions for at least as long as the law requires us to for tax or accounting purposes (which in Romania may be up to 6 years after a particular transaction). In respect of the holding of Personal Data for fundraising or direct marketing purposes, we will retain this data for a limited period in line with recommendations of the ICO and other competent regulatory authorities
By using this Website, you consent to us using ‘cookies’ and similar technologies that can track your activity. Cookies are small pieces of information sent by a web server to a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox) on the computer or device you use to access this Website, which enables our server to collect information from your device browser.
Enabling some of these cookies is not strictly necessary for the Website to work but it should enable us to provide you with a better browsing experience. Cookies can be deleted or blocked through changing your web browser settings, however some features of the Website may not work as intended and you may not be able to access parts of the Website. The cookie-related information will not be used for personal identification of individuals and data relating to usage patterns on our Website is kept under our control. These cookies will used for the following purposes:
- to improve Website usability;
- so we can remember your device or computer between successive actions or sessions; and
- to perform anonymous statistical analysis to improve functionality of our Website or any services we offer through the Website.
Our Website also makes use of Google Analytics and similar or related analytic products to store information that you send to the server when using the Website. This data includes IP address, pages accessed, and documents uploaded, modified or deleted. For more information about Google Analytics and its privacy practices, please see: https://support.google.com/analytics/topic/2919631?hl=en&ref_topic=1008008.
Third party platforms
Our email newsletters are registered and sent by MailChimp which is subject to its own terms at https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/. The party is appointed as data processor to collect Personal Data in accourdance with our instructions.
If you have further queries or requests relating to how we use Personal Data please contact our Romania data protection officer at CONTACT HERE. If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your Personal Data not in accordance with applicable law you can complain to the Romanian National Supervisory Authority for Personal Data Processing.